Friday, December 9, 2011

Round Up!

Although it has been cold, wet and inconvenient I have enjoyed the recent rainy weather as I have so many memories of crispy brown plants at this time of year. Having full water tanks also makes me feel good.

However the weed growth is phenomenal and I now accept that we simply have to use poison to maintain some sense of order on our block.  So we were busy this morning with "round-up" in anticipation of further rain over the weekend.

We've had a wonderful crop of beans and I will plant more seeds this morning.  Which reminds me of the hugely successful snow pea crop we had earlier this year which I attribute, in part, to the laundry airer that I used to support the plants.  This was the first year that I had no problems at all with mould on the plants.
What a brilliant idea! (His, not mine, I must admit!)

Yesterday I took some table mats up to my mum. I made them using the "sew & flip" "quilt-as-you-go" method from fabrics she gave to me when she last moved house.  She was delighted (and thought I was clever).  I do enjoy sewing but am never in a hurry to finish things. It's a bit like enjoying the journey rather than the destination!

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Yes Ruth, the journey can be far more interesting than the destination sometimes!! Sounds like your table mats worked out well anyway. Our place is also rampant with weeds.